Review: Melitta Filterpads - Make Your Own Coffee Pods
The Melitta "filterpads" allow you to use your own ground coffee, and create coffee pods for Senseo, Bunn My Cafe, Melitta One:One, simplehuman, Krups 1010 , GPOD, Home Cafe and other single serve coffee pod makers. This is very much like the Perfect Pod Maker, but you don't have to seal the coffee pods using a device. However, you can't use as much coffee in the Melitta Padfilters. You can expect to get around 6-7grams of coffee into the coffee pad filter from Melittta, and more than 11 grams of coffee in a Perfect Pod filter pad. For the review we used both the Senseo and Bunn My Cafe for comparisons.
The box comes with simple instructions and 50 filter pads for about $5.
Here's how it works:
- Fill it with 3-4 teaspoons ground 'drip coffee' or ground espresso coffee (the finer the better).
- Push the flap inside, and make sure the coffee is spread evenly in the filterpad. Make sure the filterpad is closed securely.
- Put the filterpad in your 'pod holder' of the machine you have, close the lid and make the coffee!
- The finer the grind, the better the results. So don't use coffee that is ground too coarse. A 'drip coffee' grind is fine enough (but espresso or Turkish grind is better). We found a really fine espresso grind to be best.
- The optimum 'filling amount' is 6-8 grams of ground coffee. We found 7 grams to be about the limit.
- Remove any loose grains of coffee off the closed padfilter before putting it in the pod coffee machine. If you don't - you may have an exploding Senseo or ground clogging your Bunn or other single serve coffee maker
- Used filterpads can be put with the green waste since they are biodegradable. We composted ours.
The Melitta Pad filter is a pouch for you coffee used to
make your own coffee pod for Senseo and other single serve coffee makers.
Fill it up with a very fine espresso grind of coffee.
We used Sumatra from Starbucks espresso ground.
We felt comfortable with about 7.4 grams of coffee in each
homemade coffee pod using the Melitta Filterpads.
Making A Cup of Senseo and Bunn My Cafe Single Serve Coffee
We used our Senseo and Bunn My Cafe single serve coffee makers for testing. We expected to get a Senseo crema like head on using our Melitta Filterpads coffee pods, and a very nice dark cup of Sumatra coffee using the Bunn My Cafe. Results were quite good, but not as dark as using the Perfect Pod maker or a larger 11 gram coffee pod.
Filling the coffee pods and using them was quite easy, but we did have problems tucking in the coffee pods and making a bit of a mess when filling. After a few tries we got a bit better, but we preferred the platform of filling a coffee pod using the Perfect Pod Maker over just about any method we tried. However, the coffee pods we made using the Melitta Filterpads worked well, and at less than 5 cents a coffee pod for the paper, this is a very affordable and easy method to make your own coffee pods.
Our homemade coffee pod for Senseo single pod holder
using Melitta Filterpads.
As expected - good Senseo crema.
A very dark rich cup of Sumatra coffee from Starbucks,
made with the Melitta Coffee Pod Filterpads.
The Bunn My Cafe and a Melitta Filterpad Coffee pod in the holder.
Brewing up a cup - dark and good. The extraction was quite
Result is a very creamy and dark cup of Sumatra blend
coffee made with our own coffee pods.
The Melitta FilterPads for the Senseo and other Pod Coffee Machines work very well. If you want to make your own coffee pods, this is a good option provided you don't want to create larger 11 gram coffee pods. If you do, the Perfect Pod Maker is a better bet. You have more flexibility with the Perfect Pod Maker, but it's also more expensive at $39.99 to get started than the $5 for 50 Melitta Filterpads, but the refills are very affordable for the Perfect Pod maker after you make the initial investment.
We'd also like to add - making you own coffee pods is fun, but it can also be a bit messy. We recommend taking time to use the Perfect Pod Maker or the Melitta Filterpads in a coffee pod making session. Make 10-15 ahead for the next few days, and making your own pods will be much easier and not a daily task.
At Melitta FilterPads for the Senseo and other Pod Coffee Machines
Read More in: Coffee Pods | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at August 28, 2007 5:37 AM