Review: Nabob Breakfast Blend 12oz T-Discs for Tassimo
Nabob's latest Tassimo option is their new 12oz Breakfast Blend T-Discs which, according to the packaging, contains more than 30% Rainforest Alliance Certified content... something the company has been trying to achieve with all its discs recently, so hats off to them in that aspect. Any 16oz travel mug or coffee cup/glass should be enough to hold all 12 ounces (we chose a Bodum 16oz Pavina series double-wall glass) and needless to say, we were happy that the Bosch Tassimo didn't leak a small pond of water on the cup stand during the brew cycle (Braun users, we feel your pangs of annoyance as you'll surely be reaching for the paper towels).
Unlike the small variety of "morning blend" 12oz T-discs available on the American market, Canada had yet to see any 12oz discs until now and since Nabob is quickly becoming a top choice amongst coffee drinkers North of the border, we suppose it was only fitting that Nabob be the brand which was chosen to introduce this new size format (although we keep hoping to see a Dunkin Donuts or Tim Hortons disc on the horizon).
Compared to other 12oz T-Discs offered by Gevalia or Maxwell House, this blend is a lot lighter in every aspect from scent to taste. Those who prefer dark roasts & bolder-tasting coffees will likely be disappointed with this and claim it's too "watered-down", while occasional coffee drinkers looking for a decent fix in the morning or afternoon while they're on the go will likely find it adequate. Nabob is marketing this as a light roast, so we were a bit surprised at the extremely dark body it produced. Overall flavor was very reminiscent of Nabob's Columbian T-Disc except it was a tiny bit stronger and seemed to have slightly more acidity which created a somewhat sour aftertaste.
- Aroma - 6 - Somewhat light, has an almost earthy scent.
- Acidity - 7 - Mostly present in the aftertaste (which is a bit sour), yet the overall brew size helps keep things in check up until that point.
- Body - 7 - Despite being billed as a light roast and being 12oz, this blend yields a dark, opaque color. We were expecting light-brown/amber at most.
- Flavor - 6 - A bit stronger than Nabob's Columbian T-Disc, but not by much. You could almost consider this a 12oz version of that disc. Some people will probably find the taste to be too light.
- Mouth Feel - 6 - Starts off smooth until the aftertaste kicks in.
- Coffee Drinker - Suited best for casual coffee drinkers who don't like strong coffees. We feel the taste would only be watered-down if we were to add any creamer/sugar. Dark roast fans will probably want to pass on this one.
Overall Rating: 82 - Average
This marks the first 12oz T-Disc made available on the Canadian retail market and is a good effort by Nabob overall. We hope this will aid in the introduction of other 12oz T-Discs in Canada and possibly help generate ideas for new ones elsewhere (yeah, Dunkins & Tims, we're lookin at you). We were hoping for something a bit stronger (especially after seeing the dark body), but are pleased to finally see some new 12oz T-Disc varieties start appearing in stores nonetheless.
The Nabob Breakfast Blend T-Discs will work in any Braun or Bosch Tassimo models and are available for approx. $4.83 USD on eBay.com or $5.99 CAD throughout Canada at select Wal-Marts, various national grocery stores (Sobeys, Loblaws/Superstore, etc) and wwww.tassimo.ca.
Review: Nabob Breakfast Blend 12oz T-Discs for Tassimo will work in your Braun Tassimo TA1200 or TA1400 models as well as the Bosch Tassimo.
Read how we review and rate single serve coffee and other single serve coffee beverages here.
Read More in: Reviews | T Disc Reviews | Tassimo & T-Discs
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at February 23, 2009 8:07 AM