Review: Southern Pecan K-Cups from Green Mountain Coffee
With the sheer multitude of K-Cup varieties on the market today, it’s almost impossible for us to review every single one (despite our best efforts), so we decided to follow-up our recent GMCR Wild Mountain Blueberry review with another one of Green Mountain’s classic flavored K-Cups... Southern Pecan.
We chose the 5.25oz brew size to extract the full flavors and it didn’t take long for the room to fill up with a strong scent of sweet buttered praline pecans. We could almost taste the real thing just by inhaling the scent, amazing. This was by far one of the best scented coffees we’d tried in a while and it had us wishing that Glade would make this scent as one of their scented candles or plug-ins. Hmm… maybe that’s a market GMCR could explore?
The body is the usual reddish-brown of most light roasts and the taste was spot-on with the scent. Rich notes of praline pecans with soft butter & caramel undertones had us grabbing for another serving soon afterwards. The only way you could possibly enhance the experience would be by pairing it with a serving of the real thing or a nice slice of pecan pie. Mmmm… pecan pie… (insert Homer Simpson drooling sound here). All joking aside, we were blown away by the quality of flavoring Green Mountain managed to achieve with this variety and we’ll definitely be keeping a steady supply in our K-Cup cupboards. Acidity is fairly well-balanced and there’s only a mildly sour aftertaste which soon disappeared even before we took our second sip.
- Aroma – 10 – other than whipping up a batch on the stove, you can’t get closer to the scent of praline pecans. Truly amazing & inviting aroma made us wish we could get this as a scented candle.
- Acidity – 7 – Well-balanced, any mild sour notes give way to flavoring.
- Body – 7 – Average light to medium body, brown with hints of red.
- Flavor – 9 – Sweet pecan flavor with hints of butter & caramel lingering in the background.
- Mouth Feel – 7 – Balanced acidity with smooth finish. Mildly sour aftertaste which quickly disappears.
- Coffee Drinker – Suited best for casual coffee drinkers & those who enjoy flavored coffees. If you love praline pecans, you have GOT to give this K-Cup a try.
Overall Rating: 90 – Exceptional
Overall, this is by far one of the best flavored K-Cup coffees Green Mountain currently makes and we regret not having tried this sooner. After giving this flavor a try, we’ll certainly start digging through some of the other flavors we’ve received to see if we have any more “hidden gems” hiding among our K-Cup stash. Hats off to Green Mountain for cementing their reputation as one of the nation’s best specialty coffee companies and if you love the taste of praline pecans, we can’t recommend this K-Cup variety enough.
Green Mountain Southern Pecan K-Cups will work in your Keurig Elite B40 Brewer, Keurig B50, Keurig Special Edition Ultra Elite B60, Keurig Platinum B70 Brewer, Breville BKC600XL Gourmet Single Cup Brewer, and other Keurig K Cup brewers including the Keurig Mini B30.
At Southern Pecan K-Cups
Read how we review and rate single serve coffee and other single serve coffee beverages here.
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at April 10, 2009 9:04 AM