Review: Folgers Gourmet Selections Vanilla Biscotti K-Cups
Today we continue our series of Folgers K-Cup reviews with their first flavored variety… Folgers Gourmet Selections Vanilla Biscotti K-Cups. We have to admit that we missed this flavor when it came out in regular grind format, so we can’t really compare how accurate of a reproduction this is… however, if it’s anything like the previous Folgers K-Cups we reviewed, the contents of this K-Cup should be the same thing you get in the Gourmet Selections foil bags at your local grocery store. So how does the coffee itself stand up? Let’s have at it and see, shall we?
Brewing the Folgers Gourmet Selections Vanilla Biscotti K-Cups resulted in strong aromas of not only vanilla but caramel as well. The scent quickly filled the room and had us captivated from the start. While Folgers doesn’t list what kind of roast this is, they do note that it’s made from 100% Arabica, so if we had to guess, we’d bill this as a light roast. Flavor was spot-on with aroma as smooth waves of vanilla flowed through to notes of caramel in the finish. We’re thinking they should have named this K-Cup "Caramel-Vanilla Biscotti" instead.
Body was light brown in color with sunny shades of orange & yellow/amber when held to a light source… somewhat reminded us of caramel coloring. Acidity was in-check with the faintest nuances at first then nothing but a smooth & mellow ride afterwards. We’ll admit we would have liked a tiny bit more to be present, but the great flavoring is preventing us from complaining too much. Mouth feel was clean & smooth with a slight vanilla aftertaste in the finish. Quite enjoyable overall.
- Aroma – 10 – We were expecting strong aromas of vanilla, but to get warm notes of caramel wafting throughout the room as well? Bonus!
- Acidity – 9 – Everything was kept in-check with a small hit at the beginning, then mellow smoothness afterwards. We could have done with a bit more kick, but we won’t whine too much about that.
- Body – 9 – The presence of caramel only seemed to be reinforced by a light brown body with shades of orange & yellow/amber when held to a light source.
- Flavor – 10 – Just like the aroma, strong notes of vanilla were present and sweet caramel flavors quickly followed. The addition of caramel here was the clincher for a perfect 10.
- Mouth Feel – 10 – Clean & smooth finish with even a bit of vanilla present in the aftertaste. It was like a flavor that just wouldn’t stop. Nice .
- Coffee Drinker – Love vanilla? Love caramel? Dying to see both paired up into one great cup of coffee? Then this is for you. A surefire hit among light-roast flavored coffee drinkers. Dark roast fans might not care for this, however, medium-roast fans might want to give this a try.
Overall Rating: 98 - Excellent
We were pleased that Folgers decided to blend some caramel notes with this coffee instead of sticking strictly to vanilla. We feel this really helped set things off and livened-up the coffee quite a bit. We feared this coffee would be a washed-down version that had little to no taste, but boy… were we wrong (and gladly so).
Once again, Folgers scores high with a superb K-Cup and proved that being one of America’s oldest coffee companies has its benefits when it comes to pushing out a quality product. If they keep this up with future K-Cup releases, we’re in for quite a nice treat. Also, just a quick heads-up that our friends North of the border can also enjoy these K-Cups as they’ve recently been introduced in grocery chains across Canada.
On a side-note, we realize we’ve been giving the line-up of Folgers K-Cups incredibly high scores over the past few reviews, but please rest assured we’re being completely unbiased. We grew up on Folgers and stuck to it as a regular coffee brand before Single Serve Coffee brewers came along since we always thought it offered the best taste at the cheapest price.
Yes, we understand some people think Folgers is a "cheap" brand and others completely dislike it to no ends, but if we say we like these K-Cups, it’s because we REALLY like these K-Cups. As many of you are aware, we’re not shy to raise red flags & sound the alarms when we find a K-Cup isn’t worthy of praise either and aren’t afraid of negative reader feedback. Above all else, we always take our readers’ purchasing decisions to heart when we write our reviews (hey, we often spend our hard-earned cash on full boxes ourselves). Just thought we’d put that out there to help clear up any misconceptions.
Folgers Gourmet Selections Vanilla Biscotti K-Cups will work in all Keurig models and are available in 12-pack boxes at various national grocery store chains across America & Canada.
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to note that we purchased these K-Cups on our own for the purpose of this review.
Read how we review and rate single-serve coffee and other single-serve coffee beverages here.
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at September 28, 2011 7:44 AM