Review: Folgers Gourmet Selections Black Silk K-Cups
Today we decided to continue our review of the recent Folgers K-Cups with one of our favorites… Folgers Gourmet Selections Black Silk K-Cups. Now, it’s been a while since we had the regular grind version, but from what we can recall, this single serve variety seemed on-par with the regular version.
Brewing these K-Cups resulted in rich woodsy notes filling the room with a hint of dark chocolate & smoky hickory in the background. There were also faint notes of spices in the finish.
Billed as a dark roast, flavor was much akin to the aroma as woodsy notes swirled around the cup with smoky notes lurking in the background. From what we can recall, this was virtually identical to the regular grind variety. Body was dark brown in color with shades of dark crimson red when held to a light source. Acidity was surprisingly smooth despite the darker roast profile and mouth feel was smooth as silk (hence the namesake) without any overbearing bite or harshness in the finish. There was a very faint oily feel present, but it wasn’t strong enough to disturb anything.
- Aroma – 10 – Rich woodsy notes with hints of dark chocolate and smoky hickory. Faint notes of spices on the finish. Much more complex than we were expecting.
- Acidity – 10 – Surprisingly smooth right through to the end of the cup. A bit of a sharp bite at first that mellows-out nicely soon afterwards.
- Body – 9 – Dark brown with notes of deep crimson red when held to a light source.
- Flavor – 10 – Much like the aroma, we detected woodsy notes throughout with hints of smoky hickory in the background. Virtually identical to the regular grind variety.
- Mouth Feel – 10 – Just as advertised… smooth as silk. Clean finish with only the slightest bit of sour notes. Very faint oily feel was present but not enough to hinder anything.
- Coffee Drinker – Folgers advertises that this dark roast is smooth enough to convert those who are usually “anti-dark roast” and to be honest, we’d tend to agree. There’s enough of a kick to satisfy the dark roast fans yet the overall smoothness of this coffee might just entice medium or even light-roast fans to give this one a try.
Overall Rating: 99 - Excellent
Once again, you get the quality of the regular grind version in the mess-free convenience of the K-Cup version. The contents are virtually identical, so you can rest assured that you’re getting the same taste no matter which version you choose. Long gone are the days of cleaning coffee filters and wiping-up drips on the warming plate.
As for the characteristics of this Black Silk coffee, like we noted above, we’d have to say it’s strong enough to give you that extra eye-opening boost in the morning yet smooth enough to be enjoyed by lighter-roast drinkers. We think with the addition of some cream & sugar, this one could be enjoyed many different coffee drinkers from casual dark roast fans right through to the "can't do without it" die-hards. Once again, a well-executed effort by Folgers on a product that is sure to become a hit in their line-up. Also, just a quick note that our friends up North can also enjoy these K-Cups as they’ve recently been introduced in grocery chains across Canada.
Folgers Gourmet Selections Black Silk K-Cups will work in all Keurig models and are available in 12-pack boxes at various national grocery store chains across America & Canada.
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to note that we purchased these K-Cups on our own for the purpose of this review.
Read how we review and rate single-serve coffee and other single-serve coffee beverages here.
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at October 4, 2011 7:57 AM