Review: San Francisco Bay Decaf French Roast OneCup Keurig Compatible Coffee Packs
We continue our series of San Francisco Bay K-Cup Pods (a.k.a. "OneCups") today with their San Francisco Bay Decaf French Roast K-Cup Pods.
Ok, first things first… this is a decaf coffee. It says so right on the box, yet we were hit by a blast of smoky aromas the moment we tore open the bag that these things came packaged in. Um… what the heck… this is a decaf? We checked the box again… yep, decaf. Wow… if they smell this good right out of the box, then this could be epic.
Sure enough, brewing these K-Cup Pods resulted in loads of smoky aromas with notes of dark chocolate as well as light oily notes. We’re used to most decafs having weak aromas & taste, but this one was sure bucking the trend right from the start. Billed as a dark roast, flavor was super smoky with predominant dark chocolate notes up front with faint notes of molasses in the background. We even detected some faint nutty notes near the finish. This was by far the most full-flavored decaf we’ve had for a while and was nothing near the watered-down taste we were expecting. We just couldn’t believe you could get such a strong taste/flavor out of a decaf coffee.
Body was dark brown in color with shades of orange when held in front of a light source. Considering how smoky this coffee was turning out to be, it reminded us of the fiery orange color of flames which couldn’t have gone better with the final results. Acidity really blew our socks off… we got a sharp bite at first and expected it to fade away but it remained present throughout the cup. It wasn’t overbearingly strong at all and kept things nice & lively. Most decafs fall weak in this category but that certainly wasn’t the case here. The same could be said with mouth feel as we were expecting a watered-down decaf and instead ended-up with super-smooth feel with only a slight bit of an oily feel on the finish despite the loads of smoky notes going on elsewhere in the cup. A nice smoky aftertaste kept lingering around afterwards.
- Aroma – 9 – Loads of smoke & notes of dark chocolate. Light oily notes also present. Overall, a lot stronger than we were expecting for a decaf.
- Acidity – 10 – Sharp bite at first, strength remains present and keeps things lively throughout. Amazing & had us wondering if this really was a decaf.
- Body – 9 – Dark brown with orange notes when held in front of a light source. Remind us of the fiery smoky notes in the aroma & flavor. Nice.
- Flavor – 10 – Wow… super smoky with dark chocolate in the foreground. Faint notes of molasses in the background and even some very faint nutty notes near the finish. Are we SURE this is a decaf?!?
- Mouth Feel – 10 – Despite the smoky chaos storming around in the cup, this was super smooth with only small bit of an oily feel on the finish. Nice lingering smoky aftertaste.
- Coffee Drinker – Medium Roast Extra Bold fans will enjoy this one and casual dark roast fans will get a kick of out this. A must-try for French Roast aficionados which will have them scratching their heads at how the heck this can possibly be a decaf.
Overall Rating: 98 – Excellent
It’s been a while since we’ve been totally floored by a decaf and we can certainly confirm that this offering left us gob-smacked & pretty near speechless to the point where we’re considering using this as one of our go-to MORNING coffees. We could tell good things were in store when we first opening the bag & could smell the smoky notes coming straight off the unbrewed K-Cup Pods, but we would NEVER have guessed this would follow-through into the final cup. All we can say is hats-off to Rogers Family Company… they’ve succeeded in creating quite possibly one of the BEST decaf French Roast coffees we’ve had in quite a while. Once you take into consideration that this is a “knock-off” product, it’s only $6.99 for a 12-pack and that it’s a frickin DECAF coffee, our minds were damn near blown out our ears. Simply amazing. We can’t even begin to recommend this coffee enough and would dare say it’s a decaf that in no way, shape or form feels, smells or tastes like a decaf.
San Francisco Bay Decaf French Roast K-Cup Pods will work in all Keurig brewers and are available in 12-packs for $6.99 USD via Gourmet-Coffee.com. Canadians can also order these K-Cup Pods for $6.99 CAD via TweedandHickory.com
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to note we purchased a box of these K-Cup Pods on our own for the purpose of this review.
Read how we review and rate single-serve coffee and other single-serve coffee beverages here
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at April 27, 2012 7:43 AM