Review: San Francisco Bay Fog Chaser OneCup Keurig Compatible Coffee Packs
We continue our series of San Francisco Bay K-Cup Pods (a.k.a. "OneCups") today with their San Francisco Bay Fog Chaser OneCup Keurig Compatible Coffee Packs
Brewing these K-Cup Pods resulted in some faint smoky aromas during brewing, but once we inspected the final cup, we honestly couldn’t smell anything discernible. It’s like the aroma completely disappeared. Billed as a dark roast on the box (yet a light roast on their website… huh?), flavor was thankfully more robust than the scent with mostly notes of dark chocolate, some smoke & very faint nutty notes hiding underneath as well as some bread notes lurking near the finish.
Body was dark brown in color with sunburst shades of yellow, red & orange when held in front of a light source. This reminded us of colors of a sunrise at morning over the bay, so bonus points for that. Acidity was somewhat balanced but could have been a tad stronger. We found that as it stood, it seemed to struggle in bringing liveliness to the cup. In those regards, mouth feel was smooth but bordered on watery while the aftertaste revealed more nutty/bread-like notes with a lingering light smoky flavor at the end.
- Aroma – 6 – Faint smoky notes during brewing, but they quickly disappear in the final cup. Very difficult to make out any aromas afterwards.
- Acidity – 7 – Somewhat balanced but not as lively as we would have liked.
- Body – 9 – Dark brown with sunburst shades of yellow, red & orange when held in front of a light source. Remind us of a morning sunrise on the bay.
- Flavor – 8 – Variety of flavors including notes of dark chocolate up front followed by some smoke & very faint nutty notes underneath. We also detected some bread-like notes near the finish.
- Mouth Feel – 7 – Smooth but bordering on watery. Some nutty/bread notes in the aftertaste with light smoky flavors that linger around afterwards.
- Coffee Drinker – Medium roast fans would probably like this, but dark roast fans might find it rather weak. At only $6.99 a box, you won’t go broke trying this, but it’s an almost try-before-buying experience if such is possible where you shop.
Overall Rating: 87 – Good
Ok, so maybe we’re being a little harsh on this coffee review, but after experiencing the outright awesome-sauce which is their French Roast & French Roast Decaf, we were expecting a bit more with something that had a name like "Fog Chaser". It’s a good coffee overall, but we wouldn’t exactly label it as our favorite out of the lineup. We liked the bread notes in the flavor but really wish the aroma didn’t float away the moment the coffee was in the cup. Despite those faults, we still think this is worth a try so you can decide for yourself.
San Francisco Bay Fog Chaser OneCup Keurig Compatible Coffee Packs will work in all Keurig brewers and are available in 12-packs for $6 USD (packed in 3 - 12 packs). Canadians can also order these K-Cup Pods for $6.99 CAD via TweedandHickory.com
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to note we purchased a box of these K-Cup Pods on our own for the purpose of this review.
Read how we review and rate single-serve coffee and other single-serve coffee beverages here
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at May 24, 2012 7:43 AM