Review: San Francisco Bay Organic Rainforest Blend OneCup Keurig Compatible Coffee Packs
We continue our series of San Francisco Bay OneCup Keurig Compatible Coffee Packs (a.k.a. “OneCups”) today with their San Francisco Bay Organic Rainforest Blend OneCup Keurig Compatible Coffee Packs.
Brewing these OneCup Keurig Compatible Coffee Packs resulted in mild notes of cocoa which seemed to be the only scent we could determine in the final cup. We had been getting used to the smoky aromas in the previous OneCup offerings and were a bit disappointed that the aroma here wasn’t more complex. Billed as a medium to dark roast, flavor revealed more cocoa/milk chocolate taste throughout and an almost woodsy character overall which yielded faint oily flavors on the finish. Very mild nutty notes were also hiding underneath.
Body was dark brown in color with shades of red when held in front of a light source. Acidity pushes forward with a mild bite at first sip and slowly continues throughout the cup. Mouth feel remained smooth and gave way to a dark chocolate aftertaste which didn’t linger around for too long afterwards. The longer we inspected the cup, the more this was turning out to be a medium roast rather than a dark roast.
Overall Rating: 89 – Good
- Aroma – 7 – Very mild notes of cocoa and that’s about it. Nothing overly complex going on here considering the roast nature of this coffee. We were expecting some smoky notes as was present with previous OneCups.
- Acidity – 8 – Balanced overall with a mild bite at first which follows through the cup to the end.
- Body – 8 – Dark brown with shades of bright red when held to a light source.
- Flavor – 8 – Almost woodsy in nature, mostly dominated by cocoa/milk chocolate with faint oily notes on the finish. We also detected some very faint nutty notes hiding underneath.
- Mouth Feel – 8 – Smooth throughout with dark chocolate aftertaste which dissipated fairly quickly afterwards.
- Coffee Drinker – This one is probably suited best for medium roast fans. It’s probably too weak for most dark roast fans to even bother. Makes for an ok coffee to have in the mid-morning or mid-afternoon.
More and more coffees are being sourced organically, so it’s nice to see Rogers Family Coffee Company went the extra mile to ensure they ran their coffee plantations the same way. While this isn’t an overly strong coffee, it’s characteristics do suit it well for mid-morning or mid-afternoon purposes as we’ve noted above, we would have liked for things to be a little bit stronger… especially in the aroma category, but with a plethora of dark roasts already in their lineup, we suppose we can’t fault them too much for going with a lighter offering. Despite some of our marks, this is still a good coffee which is at least worth a try and after all, the only thing holding it away from an “exceptional” score was the weak aroma. Give this one a try and see for yourself. It wasn’t our favorite in the lineup, but we still enjoyed it regardless.
San Francisco Bay Organic Rainforest Blend OneCup Keurig Compatible Coffee Packs will work in all Keurig brewers and are available in 12-packs for $6 USD (packed in 3 - 12 packs). Canadians can also order these K-Cup Pods for $6.99 CAD via TweedandHickory.com
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to note we purchased a box of these K-Cup Pods on our own for the purpose of this review.
Read how we review and rate single-serve coffee and other single-serve coffee beverages here
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at June 5, 2012 7:43 AM