Review: Vitamin Burst Strawberry Pomegranate K-Cups
We continue our Vitamin Burst review series today with the 2nd flavor in their lineup... Vitamin Burst Strawberry Pomegranate K-Cups. We were absolutely floored with their Acai Berry flavor last time, so we can't wait to see if these K-Cups are just as mind-blowing or not.
Brewing these K-Cups resulted in LOADS of strawberry aromas filling the room with hints of pomegranate slightly present in the background, but it was almost buried by the massive strawberry scent. Flavor was thankfully PACKED full of huge strawberry notes up front with a nice mild tartness of the pomegranate underneath. Again, the main notes were strawberries and we had to really search around a bit to find the mild pomegranate notes hiding in the cup. We were also detecting some other berry notes but couldn't quite put our finger on what it was until we checked the packaging and noticed dried black currant puree was listed in the ingredients. If we had to pick between these K-Cups and the Acai K-Cups, we'd say we probably enjoy the strawberry flavors a bit more than the acai, but just barely.
Again pretty much all-natural ingredients were used throughout this K-Cup. There's apple powder, dried strawberry puree, dried pomegranate juice concentrate & dried black currant puree to give the flavoring. As with the Acai Berry Vitamin Burst K-Cups, we didn't taste apples despite the apple powder being present and natural sugar & stevia extract were again used to sweeten things instead of sucralose which would have just ruined everything with a chemical taste. This is proof that stevia is the sweetener of choice for single serve drinks and we hope more companies start ditching sucralose in favor of natural stevia extract. Some people still find that the Vitamin Burst K-Cups in general are overly sweet, but what did they expect when BOTH sugar & stevia are being combined together? We like sugary items, so we were in paradise, but we suppose those who are anti-sugar/anti-sweet probably wouldn't be as ecstatic.
Body was once more pretty spot-on with nice shades of vibrant red throughout which matched the main strawberry & pomegranate colors perfectly. Sure enough, no artificial food coloring in these K-Cups either... just beet juice concentrate to obtain the color. We really dig how Green Mountain are taking full advantage of natural ingredients to obtain the colors in their Vitamin Burst K-Cups. They could have gone the cheap way out and used nasty artificial colorings, but instead they chose to remain natural. You've got to admire that & it only goes to show they weren't willing to cut any corners.
Acidity from the fruit juices were well blended & balanced with the stevia & sugar to prevent anything from becoming too sour. We DID get a slight bit of tart sour notes from the pomegranate but then the sweet kick of strawberries washed them away. Again (jeeze, how many times can we use that word?), mouth feel, despite the loads of ice, was not overly watery but just felt smooth & substantial instead. We'll admit once more that's likely because we downed the entire cup within a few minutes without giving the ice a chance to melt.
- Aroma - 10 - MASSIVE blasts of strawberries were the dominant aroma here, but we still detected mild notes of pomegranate hiding underneath. Once again, the room not only filled with aroma but also with staff members who were eager to give these K-Cups a try.
- Acidity - 10 - You get the tart, acidic nature of pomegranates throughout the drink but the addition of sugar & stevia quickly balance things out to reveal the dominant sweet strawberry flavors.
- Body - 10 - Superbly vibrant shades of red are awash throughout the cup and showcase the primary colors of the main strawberry & pomegranate flavors. Again, the natural ingredient of beet juice concentrate was used to achieve the color. Outstanding.
- Flavor - 11 - Yep, we're keeping the 11 again since our taste buds would have gone on strike otherwise. You start off with the tart sour notes of the pomegranate which quickly gives way to GIANT bursts of strawberries which are the main flavor dominating the cup. We also detected another berry flavor which turned out to be black currant. Again, just awesome.
- Mouth Feel - 10 - As with the Acai Berry Vitamin Burst K-Cups, things were smooth & substantial without any signs of being watery. We'll confess that's likely once more due to the fact that we downed our cup in record time.
- Coffee Drinker - Obviously not a coffee, but suited well for those who like sweet fruit drinks. Think Strawberry-Kiwi Snapple minus the kiwi flavor & you'll get an idea of what these K-Cups are like.
Overall Rating: 100 - EXCELLENT!
We were blown away by the performance of the Acai Berry Vitamin Burst K-Cups but we didn't think it would be possible for lightning to strike twice in the same spot. It would seem however that Green Mountain have managed to do exactly that. These K-Cups are both equally outstanding in every aspect and we are beyond pleased that we like both of them so much. As we noted earlier, we're leaning a bit towards these Strawberry Pomegranate K-Cups being our favorite, but we certainly wouldn't shy away from grabbing another box of the Acai Berry Vitamin Burst K-Cups either. We very highly recommend both flavors regardless & think you can't go wrong with either one.
We took another quick look at the nutritional label & things appear to be the same as with the Acai Berry flavor since each Strawberry Pomegranate K-Cup has the following daily recommended values: 40% Vitamin C, 20% Niacin, 20% Vitamin B6, 20% Vitamin B12 and 20% Pantothenic Acid. Try finding those values in a bottle of Snapple & we think you'd be hard pressed to come up with similar numbers, let alone similar vitamins. As a matter of fact, we enjoy the Vitamin Burst K-Cups so much we're even considering naming them K-Cup Product of The Year for 2012. Meh, maybe that's stretching things a bit too much... or is it?
Vitamin Burst Strawberry Pomegranate K-Cups will work in all Keurig K-Cup brewers and are available at Green Mountain Coffee.
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to thank Green Mountain for supplying us with samples for the purpose of this review.
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at January 2, 2013 7:43 AM