Review: Brown Gold 100% Colombian Real Cups
We continue our Brown Gold Real Cup review series today by checking out the 3rd flavor in their line-up... Brown Gold 100% Colombian Real Cups.
Brewing these Real Cups resulted in a pleasing aroma overall, comprised by lightly smoked notes of caramel with very faint hints of spices & raisin hiding underneath. Billed as a medium roast, flavor seemed more balanced overall compared to the previous flavors in the Brown Gold line-up as we noticed some slight sour notes at first which quickly gave way to notes of caramel, molasses, chocolate & more faint notes of spices in the background blended by a touch of smoke on the finish.
So far, this was quickly turning out to be the best flavor in Brown Gold's repertoire and we were enjoying every minute of it. Given the abundance of Colombian coffees on the market, missing the mark on this one would have seemed odd & unexpected to say the least, so we're glad this flavor was turning out to be a solid choice. Acidity was much more balanced than in previous flavors this time as it was mild enough to let all the primary flavors shine through yet vibrant enough to keep things popping and prevented any wash-outs.
Body was a medium brown in color tinged with reddish notes around the edges which came alive in vibrant sunburst shades of red, orange & yellow when held in front of a light source. Since most Colombian coffees are used as breakfast blends, we thought the colors fit the mood of a morning sunrise quite well. Brown Gold finally hit their stride with mouth feel as it remained silky smooth throughout and seemed quite more substantial than what we've seen to date without feeling watery or oily. Finish had some slight citrusy notes from the acidity with some dry smoky & chocolaty notes in the aftertaste.
- Aroma - 9 - Lightly smoked notes of caramel with very faint hints of spices & raisin make for a compellingly pleasing aroma overall.
- Acidity - 8 - Mercifully nowhere as strong & overbearing as the previous Brown Gold flavors. Much more balanced overall allowing the main flavors to shine through yet vibrant enough to keep things alive throughout the cup.
- Body - 8 - Medium brown in color with reddish notes around the edges which came alive in sunburst shades of red, orange & yellow when held in front of a light source.
- Flavor - 9 - More balanced than previous flavors in the line-up with slight sour notes at first which quickly gave way to notes of caramel, molasses, chocolate & faint notes of spices & smoke in the background.
- Mouth Feel - 10 - Silky smooth throughout with a much more substantial feel which didn't seem watery or oily. Finish had some slight citrusy notes with dry smoky & chocolaty notes in the aftertaste.
- Coffee Drinker - Suited best for those who enjoy morning coffees and for Colombian coffee fans who want something slightly different from the norm.
Overall Rating: 94 - Exceptional
Phew! We were starting to wonder if Brown Gold would end up turning into Brown Bronze after reviewing the first 2 flavors in the line-up but thankfully the brand went for the gold this time and put out a rather solid effort with this 100% Colombian coffee. It's much more on par with most of the other Colombian coffees on the market yet still has its own unique characteristics as well.
Proving once again that it's one of the World's best coffee growing regions, this flavor put out a pleasing mix of aroma, taste, acidity & mouth feel to produce an enjoyable cup which we wouldn't mind adding to our stash or at the very least, using as a substitute when we run out of our usual brands. While the pricing may be marginally cheaper than similar K-Cups, we still think these Real Cups merit a try by anyone who's interested or for those who are looking for something slightly different.
Brown Gold 100% Colombian Real Cups work in all Keurig K-Cup Brewers and are available in Canada in 24-packs for $16.99 CAD or can be purchased individually for $0.89 CAD each at ECSCoffee.com. These Real Cups are also available in 24-packs for $13.45 USD at CoffeeOutlaw.com in USA and Amazon.com. Please also note that Real Cups will NOT work with Keurig Vue brewers.
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to thank ECS Coffee for supplying us with samples of these Real Cups for the purpose of this review.
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at May 30, 2013 5:43 AM