Marley Coffee Lively Up! Real Cups Review
We continue our Marley Coffee Real Cup series today with the strongest roast they current have available by checking out the Marley Coffee Lively Up! Real Cups. After outstandingly stellar performance of the past 2 flavors, we had high hopes for this flavor. We thought the Blue Mountain flavor would be the overall winner (and it might still be since we haven’t reviewed it yet) but the fact that the first 2 intro flavors blew our minds both scoring Excellentscores, could only mean this flavor was right on-par with what we’ve seen so far, right? Let’s find out.
Brewing the Marley Coffee Lively Up! Real Cups resulted in strong smoky aromas at first but as things settled, we detected subtly inviting caramel & cocoa notes which had most staff clamoring around the B70 to see who’d get the first cup. Billed as an organic medium-espresso roast (wait… what?), flavor was much on-par with aroma as things started off with an earthy note at first sip which quickly morphed into dark chocolate with mild hints of caramel hiding in the background. We also detected some of the oils from the roast as well along with a sweet finish near the end of each sip. Once again, Marley Coffee has scored a hit in our opinion. Acidity was amazingly well-balanced for such a dark… uh… medium-espresso roast as we were expecting strong acidity and instead found a perfect mix of mild & strong coming together to push forth the primary flavor profile while keeping things popping in the background.
Body was dark brown in color with deep crimson red shades much akin to a fine wine when held in front of a light source. Considering how outstanding this coffee is turning out to be, we’d say that’s a fitting match. Mouth feel was silky smooth throughout and substantially balanced as it wasn’t too watery nor too oily and further enhanced an already great cup. Finish was pleasantly sweet with some more dark chocolate notes touched by mild smoky tinges in the aftertaste.
- Aroma – 10 – Strong smoky aromas quickly develop into invitingly intoxicating aromas of caramel & cocoa once you let things settle after brewing.
- Acidity – 10 – Amazingly well-balanced mix of strong & mild which pushes forth the primary flavors while keeping things popping in the background.
- Body – 10 – Dark brown in color with deep crimson red shades when held in front of a light source. Much akin to a fine wine which seemed fitting given how outstanding this coffee was.
- Flavor – 10 – Earthy note at first sip quickly gives way to dark chocolate notes with hints of caramel in the background. Some mild hints of oils were also present with a sweet note on the finish.
- Mouth Feel – 10 – Silky smooth throughout, substantially balanced in not being too watery or oily. Sweet finish gives way to more dark chocolate notes and hints of smoke in the aftertaste.
- Coffee Drinker – Suited best for dark roast fans who are looking for something in between a lighter-tasting dark roast and a burnt to cinders super-strong extra bold dark roast. Some fans of the latter may thing this is too light-tasting but we thought it was spot-on and a perfect balance between mild & super strong.
Overall Rating: 100 – Excellent!
Ok, we’ll admit it and most of our readers probably already know we’re suckers for a good dark roast coffee, but this was a truly excellent example of a medium-strength dark roast which we’re shocked to say is probably our #1 favorite roast profile. Call it medium-dark, medium-espresso or frickin-awesome… it just works. It’s not over the top burnt to a crisp strong like some Starbucks flavors and it’s not you call THIS a dark roast? watered-down light strength either. It’s just a perfect balance of strength between the two which makes for a satisfying down to earth dark roast flavor instead of a satisflying strong flavor which will shoot your taste buds into the next solar system.
We could definitely see ourselves adding this Real Cup to our weekly line-up or even swapping it in favor of our usual breakfast or morning blends. If their Blue Mountain is on-par with the rest of the line-up, it’ll mark the FIRST time in SingleServeCofee.com history that a brand’s ENTIRE line-up scores all PERFECT scores. Our hats off to Rohan Marley & Shane Whittle as well as all the farmers & workers at Marley Coffee. We’re sure Bob would be proud to see the commitment to quality and ITAL values that everyone involved have put forward with this Real Cup series. We can’t wait to test out the Blue Mountain flavor but if you find the pricing is a bit too steep for your taste, rest assured you can’t go wrong trying any of the other 3 flavors in the line-up & should give them a try. This is quite possibly the best brand you’ll find in the entire Real Cup format & a must try for anyone who thinks Real Cups can’t stand up to conventional K-Cups.
Marley Coffee Lively Up! Real Cups work in all Keurig K-Cup brewers and are available in Canada in 24-packs for $16.99 CAD or can be purchased individually for $0.89 CAD each at ECSCoffee.com. These Real Cups are also available in 24-packs for $12.95 USD at Amazon.com in USA. Please also note that Real Cups will NOT work with Keurig Vue brewers.
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to note that these Real Cups were supplied by ECS Coffee for the purpose of this review.
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at October 16, 2013 7:27 AM