Martinson French Roast Real Cups for K-Cup Brewers Review
We come to an end of our Martinson Real Cup review series today with the last flavor in their current line-up… Martinson French Roast Real Cups. We really enjoyed their Dark Roast Real Cups so much so that they earned a perfect score. Will lightning strike twice or will it be a one-time only experience?
Brewing the Martinson French Roast Real Cups resulted in earthy & rich smoky aromas mixed with faint hints of cocoa hiding underneath . Flavor was an interesting mix with quite a lot going on… we detected oily notes from the intense French roast, dark chocolate flavors blended with smoky notes and a mild floral attribute lingering around in the background. Acidity was well balanced overall as it allowed the flavors to be the main focal point. While a bit milder than expected, it still had enough vibrancy to keep things from going dull and only became noticeable near the end of each sip.
Body was dark brown in color with shades of deep red when held in front of a light source. Mouth feel was quite smooth overall and struck a fine balance between being watery & oily. Finish was a bit dry with more smoky notes floating around in the aftertaste with a mild sweetness emerging after a few seconds. We weren’t expecting any sweet notes, so it made for a nice change of pace.
- Aroma – 10 – Earthy & rich smoky aromas blended with faint hints of cocoa underneath. Spot-on for a French roast coffee.
- Acidity – 9 – A bit on the milder side than expected, but still vibrant enough to keep things from going dull. More noticeable near the end of each sip, allows for flavors to be the main focal point.
- Body – 10 – Dark brown with notes of deep red when held to a light source. Almost wine-like in appearance.
- Flavor – 10 – An interesting mix this time around. Things start off with oily notes from the intense French roast followed by dark chocolate and smoky flavors which had a mild floral tone lingering around in the background.
- Mouth Feel – 10 – Quite smooth overall and was balanced between watery & oily. Finish was somewhat dry with more smoky notes in the aftertaste which was followed by a mild hint of sweetness after a few seconds.
- Coffee Drinker – This is the strongest flavor in the Martinson line-up and while nowhere as strong as a dark roast Starbucks or extra bold, most dark roast fans should enjoy this one. Suited best for those who prefer smoky coffees with notes of dark chocolate throughout.
Overall Rating: 98 – Excellent
While lightning didn’t exactly strike twice, it came pretty close to doing so. If we had to pick between this French Roast & Martinson’s Dark Roast, we’d probably go with the latter since we enjoyed it a bit more than this one, but if all we had was this particular flavor, we’d still be pleased nonetheless. So our Martinson Real Cup journey is over and what have we discovered? We’ve found out that Real Cups are probably the best alternative solution to K-Cups… you get the flavor quality of a One Cup and the shelf life of a conventional K-Cup.
You also get the opportunity to try unique flavors or varietals which Keurig still haven’t added to their line-up yet (We’ll cover that in a future review) and in some instances, you get top notch quality coffee at a fraction of the price you’d pay for licensed K-Cups. We were seriously worried when the first instant freeze-dried coffee in a K-Cup offerings hit the market (Grove Square was one of the first brands to hit shelves after Keurig’s patent expiration) and were concerned that ALL knock-offs would be nothing more than freeze-dried sludge.
Thankfully Rogers Coffee Company proved that wasn’t going to be the case and now, with the introduction of Real Cups, we’ve finally struck the perfect balance of quality and freshness longevity which only makes us wonder what else awaits us in the months ahead. Anyone who doubts they can get decent results from Real Cups needs to throw their worries aside and give these a try. We’d recommend going for variety boxes that have all the flavors in a line-up if possible… that way you get to test things and figure out which is your favorite flavor before committing to a full box.
Martinson French Roast Real Cups work in all Keurig K-Cup Brewers and are available in Canada in 24-packs for $15.75 CAD or can be purchased individually for $0.89 CAD each at ECSCoffee.com. These Real Cups are also available at Amazon.com in the USA. Please also note that Real Cups will NOT work with Keurig Vue brewers.
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to note that these Real Cups were supplied by ECS Coffee for the purpose of this review.
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at October 29, 2013 7:43 AM