Original Donut Shop Coffee - Sweet & Creamy Nutty Hazelnut Iced Coffee K-Cups Review
Last year, we reviewed a K-Cup that had the most ridiculously long name we've seen to date and at that time, we only had 1 flavor to review. Since then, Green Mountain Coffee has supplied us with the 2nd flavor in the line-up which is what we're checking out today. These K-Cups also have a ridiculously long name, so we'll simply refer to them as "Sweet & Creamy Nutty Hazelnut Iced Coffee K-Cups" for the remainder of this review. Most Brew Over Ice K-Cups recommend 6oz or 8oz settings but as with the 1st flavor, this one used actual real ground coffee beans, so we figured we'd use the larger 8oz setting to fill our iced beverage tumbler.
Brewing these K-Cups resulted in mild notes of sweet hazelnut blended with coffee aromas. While the hazelnut scent wasn't strong, there was still enough present to give us hope that the flavor would be better than the regular variety we had reviewed earlier. It would seem our hope wasn't unwarranted as flavor was indeed vastly improved in comparison. The first thing that we noticed was the sweetener which was a blend of sugar & sucralose. We're guessing there was more sugar than sucralose since we didn't notice any chemical tastes whatsoever. Once the sweet notes started to fade, delicate flavors of hazelnut quickly came forth from underneath and remained on the palate after each sip.
Body was light beige brown just like you'd expect after adding creamer to iced coffee & was spot-on in our opinion. Acidity seemed improved from last time as it was light but still noticeable enough to keep things lively vs. making things dull. Mouth feel was also more on the creamy side of things with a light creamy texture that had a sweet finish and lingering hazelnut notes in the aftertaste. Sweet & Creamy? Check. Nutty Hazelnut flavor? Check. Way better than the regular flavor? You bet'cha! Overall, we're really impressed with the final results and can see this becoming a favorite around the Single Serve Coffee offices throughout the summer months.
- Aroma - 10 - Mild notes of sweet hazelnut blended well with typical coffee aromas to remove any doubt that this was a hazelnut flavored coffee. Spot-on so far.
- Acidity - 7 - Unlike last time, acidity was still rather light but present enough to keep things lively and prevent any watery characteristics from surfacing.
- Body - 10 - Light beige brown just like you'd expect with creamer added-in. Looks just like an iced coffee drink you'd get at your local coffee shop.
- Flavor - 10 - Vastly improved this time around. Sweet notes of the sweetener come through first only to reveal delicate notes of hazelnut enveloping the palate right through to the end of each sip. Very pleasing taste overall.
- Mouth Feel - 9 - More on the creamy side of things than before with a more substantial texture overall. Greatly improved without any watery notes whatsoever (although that's likely because we downed the cup before the ice even started melting)
- Coffee Drinker - If you enjoy iced coffees and usually go for flavored iced coffee beverages at your local coffee shop, you'll probably enjoy this. Hazelnut fans won't be disappointed. While this is a rather sweet tasting flavor and some may find it too sweet, we think most will agree that it's still a welcome addition to the Brew-Over-Ice line up.
Overall Rating: 96 - Excellent
When we reviewed the regular flavor last year, we were left a bit disappointed that the flavor wasn't as strong as we had hoped and that things seemed a bit watery (yes, we realize adding ice to a drink causes this effect once it melts) but with this flavored version, we think we finally have what we've been looking for. Not only was the flavor spot-on, but the creamer and final taste seemed more balanced. We also didn't notice the watery characteristics but that's probably because we Hoovered things down so quick the ice didn't have a chance to melt.
We like the fact that everything's contained in one K-Cup meaning we don't need to add anything on our own after it's been brewed... just brew & you're on your way out the door or ready for an afternoon on the patio. As with the regular flavor, Coffee People didn't have their logo/branding anywhere on the box or K-Cup itself, yet their signature Donut Shop flavor's logo is still there for all to see. A rather strange approach towards marketing, but if they can keep creating new iced coffee flavors that are just as good as this one, they could stick a logo of a farm tractor on the box for all we care. Definitely worth checking this one out if you get a chance & a recommended buy for those hot summer days.
Original Donut Shop Coffee - Sweet & Creamy Nutty Hazelnut Iced Coffee K-Cups will work in all Keurig K-Cup Brewers and are available at Amazon.com and GreenMountainCoffee.com. These K-Cups are not currently available to be shipped to Canada.
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to thank Green Mountain Coffee for supplying us with samples for the purpose of this review.
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at November 11, 2013 7:48 AM