Newman’s Own Organics Cafe Almond Biscotti K-Cups Review
From time to time, we stumble across K-Cup flavors which either aren’t widely advertised or were never announced on the Keurig or GMCR/KGM websites, flavors which appear out of nowhere or are only retailer exclusives (i.e. Only sold at one specific retailer) and other odd situations similar to the above. Such was the case with a flavor we first discovered about a year ago. It appeared briefly at Target & Wal-Mart stores then disappeared soon after. We eventually managed to track a box down at a local Target several months ago and are only getting around to reviewing things today. What is this elusive flavor? Newman’s Own Organics Cafe Almond Biscotti K-Cups. Let’s have at ‘er and see if this flavor was worth the hunt.
Brewing the Newman’s Own Organics Cafe Almond Biscotti K-Cups resulted in an amazingly enticing aroma which combined sweet notes of vanilla, caramel, almonds and subtle hints of cherries underneath. It’s quite possibly one of the most intoxicatingly delicious aromas we’ve seen produced from a K-Cup in quite a while. If only we could find scented candles of this stuff! Billed as a medium extra bold, flavor was just as complex as the aroma since we got notes of toasted almonds up front quickly followed by the same vanilla & caramel notes with more hints of cherries lurking about underneath. It made for a decadent & sweet mix which definitely didn’t require any addition of sugar as things seemed perfectly balanced as they were. The almond & vanilla notes did indeed seem reminiscent of almond biscotti but the rest of the flavors were an added bonus we were pleasantly surprised to find present.
Acidity seemed a bit on the tart side at first sip but quickly dissolved to reveal the cornucopia of flavors present throughout the cup. It added just enough pop to awaken our tastebuds and get them ready for the fun which awaited each taste. Body yielded bright reddish-orange hues with some golden amber notes near the bottom of the cup and played well with the caramel, cherry & toasted almond notes in the coffee. Mouth feel remained quite smooth with a very light syrupy feel while finish was sweet & revealed more almond notes throughout the aftertaste.
- Aroma – 10 – Indulgent aromas of sweet vanilla, caramel, almonds and even subtle hints of cherries underneath make us wish that KGM made scented candles of this stuff. Outstanding!
- Acidity – 9 – A bit tart at first but quickly yielded to the main flavors throughout the cup. It gave just enough of a pop to wake things up and let the primary flavors take over without adding any overbearing sour notes to the coffee.
- Body – 10 – Bright hues of reddish-orange were present along with golden amber notes neat the bottom of the cup which seemed to play well with the caramel, cherry & toasted almond notes in the coffee.
- Flavor – 10 – Every bit as outstanding as the aroma with incredibly sweet notes of toasted almonds at first quickly followed by vanilla & caramel notes with more hints of cherries hiding underneath. There was a fair amount of sweetness present which should be just enough for most folks to avoid requiring any addition of sugar.
- Mouth Feel – 9 – Quite smooth overall with a very light syrupy feel while finish remained sweet with more almond notes throughout the aftertaste.
- Coffee Drinker – Best suited for flavored coffee fans who love the taste of almonds, amaretto & marzipan (candied almond paste). This sweet blend of lush flavors should be more than enough to satisfy the sweet tooth of most medium bold fans. Makes for an excellent afternoon treat and would likely pair quite well with the namesake almond biscotti.
Overall Rating: 98 – Excellent
The fact that this coffee is USDA Organic & Fair Trade Certified just adds to the amazing characteristics we’ve seen presented here and helps prove why McDonalds restaurants in certain areas of USA have decided to use Newman’s Own Organics regular coffee as their house brand. Newman’s Own certain knows how to do things well and among the variety of food & drink items they produce, coffee is one which after today, should certainly not be overlooked. This is the first flavored K-Cup we’ve seen from them and to be honest, if they can keep up this level of quality, we are dying to see what other flavors they might have in store for us over the coming years ahead.
It may have taken them several years to develop their first flavored K-Cup (the brand has been around since Keurig brewers were first introduced) but it goes to show the old adage lives true: All good things come to those who wait. The scarcity of this product at various times of the year leads up to believe that this might be a seasonal flavor, but we’ve yet to confirm this. Regardless, if you can find this at your local retailers, we’d strongly suggest giving a box a try.
Newman’s Own Organics Cafe Almond Biscotti K-Cups work in all Keurig K-Cup Brewers and are available in different size formats at various retailers throughout USA. These K-Cups are not currently sold in Canada.
A special thanks to SH for providing this Single Serve Coffee staff review. We would also like to note that we purchased a box of these K-Cups on our own for the purpose of this review.
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Reviews
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Single Serve Coffee for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at June 2, 2014 7:35 AM