March 26, 2014
ECSCoffee has a really great article on Keurig 2.0. Why listen to them? As one of the largest retailers of single serve coffee products in North America they have a lot to lose if Keurig 2.0 isn’t the next big thing.
If you aren’t familiar with the controversy around the new Keurig 2.0 brewers coming out this year then you may want to catch up. In a nut shell Keurig 2.0 brewers will only brew Keurig licensed K-Cups using some DRM/anti-non licensed detection method built into each brewer. We see the debate coming from many sides - Keurig wants to continue to offer top notch products and doesn’t want unlicensed K-Cups clogging up their machines. The general Keurig customer who buys K-Cups just wants to buy whatever K-Cup they want whether or not it’s licensed and make a cup of coffee?
So who’s right? We think both sides. Unlike most DRM situations - you can keep using the current K-Cup brewer you have. It will still work with Keurig 2.0 K-Cups and the unlicensed K-Cups, or you can get a Keurig 2.0 brewer and use the licensed K-Cups and the new K-Carafe packs.
We think ECS Coffee sums it up pretty well.
So in the end, while innovation, marketing, quality and price will be strategies employed by all in this market, the final say will be with the customer. Certain models of the original Keurig® brewers (lets call them 1.0) will continue to be sold through 2015 and we are yet to hear if Cuisinart®, Mr. Coffee etc. will be making the change to Keurig® 2.0 or sticking with the 1.0 platform. And there are already 20 Million or so original brewers in homes across North America. So as mentioned before, there is no need to panic. You can continue to brew your favourite beverage just the way you like."
Full read at ECSCoffee
March 25, 2014
Barnie's Coffee Kitchen K-Cups are now available, and come in many of your favorite flavors. This 15 K-cup Single serve Barnie's Coffee Kitchen Sampler has 5 flavors including:
- Barnie's Blend - Barnie's signature blend of prized South and Central American coffees.
- Crème Brûlée - This coffee combines the flavors of cream and caramel to create a coffee reminiscent of the classic dessert.
- French Roast - This Certified Rainforest Alliance coffee is our darkest roast and is an intense coffee delivering the smokiness and caramel flavors.
- White Christmas - Flavored with coconut, nuts, sweet caramel and vanilla, it remains unforgettable.
- Southern Pecan - Southern Pecan coffee delivers the unique sweet, nutty flavor of the famed southern pecan.
Full boxes run $13.99 for a pack of 24 K-Cups.
March 24, 2014
With major donut shop chains such as Krispy Kreme entering the K-Cup scene in recent months, we decided we’d check in on America’s largest and one of the first to create licensed Keurig Brewed K-Cups… Dunkin Donuts. We haven’t seen too many new K-Cup flavors as they seem focused on creating new varieties mainly in their ground coffee format sold through various grocery stores across the nation, so when we saw they released their new Peppermint Mocha K-Cups a few months ago, we decided to grab a box and check things out. We thought their regular Mocha K-Cups weren’t too bad, so lets see what the addition of peppermint does to the mix.
Continue reading: "Dunkin Donuts Peppermint Mocha K-Cups Review"
March 21, 2014
RealCup brand and Numi Organic Tea are teaming up to bring convenience and quality to teacups everywhere with the introduction of single-serve capsules to the Numi line of organic teas.
Numi is a family owned and operated business that was founded in 1999 by siblings Ahmed and Reem Rahim, and is one the fastest growing tea companies in the United States. Numi chose RealCup due to the shared company values of innovation and quality.
Developed by Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee, RealCup single-serve capsules feature a FlavorMax filter that is designed to allow more of the essential oils into the cup, ensuring a more flavorful experience.
It's nice to see another premium Tea come to the single cup platform that Mother Parkers is building. We look forward to getting a sample set to review.
March 20, 2014
Remington iCup will be the first single-serve coffee brewing system to use rotational SteamBrew technology. iCup is a breakthrough technology for the single-serve brewer industry, providing a superior tasting cup of coffee as compared with your favorite Keurig K-Cup or K-type equivalent.
iCup uses iCoffee's patented rotational SteamBrew technology to steam and stir the coffee grounds in all Keurig and K-type compatible cups. This rotational brewing technology creates a brewing environment that extracts rich, smooth flavors without the bitter-acidic aftertaste often associated with drip and single-serve coffee brewers. We’ve never used the iCoffee drip brewer but we have read many reviews saying how amazing it is.
The iCup will accept all K-Cups - including the new Keurig 2.0 cups. How does the iCup work? The iCup uses a patent-pending rotational jet inside the K-Cup that steams and stirs the coffee at the optimum brewing temperature to release maximum flavor.
Continue reading: "Remington iCup - Keurig K-Cup Compatible Single Serve Brewer"
March 17, 2014
Keurig Green Mountain and Peet's Coffee & Tea Announce have announced a multi-year manufacturing and distribution agreement for Peet's-branded packs for the Keurig brewing system. The companies plan to launch a selection of Keurig licensed Peet's coffee and tea varieties in K-Cup packs for Keurig K-Cup brewers produced by Keurig by the end of the summer. Peet's will continue to hand roast the beans for its Peet's K-Cup packs at its LEED-Gold certified roasting facility in Alameda, Calif. and the roasted beans will be transported to Keurig for grinding and packaging in K-Cup packs.
Peet's entered the single-cup format just seven months ago and is now available in over 12,000 stores nationwide. Given their success with the K-Cup format, it’s interesting they decided to go Keurig brewed, but if they didn’t their K-Cup packs wouldn’t work with the Keurig 2.0 brewers coming out later this Fall.
This is one partnership we didn’t see coming, and right on the heels of Starbucks changing it’s agreement with Green Mountain from the only, “Premium Exclusive Brand on the Keurig platform.” It also makes us think who’s left? Is there any premium brand that’s not on the Keurig platform for 2014?
March 14, 2014
After successfully winning an appeal to be able to use it’s own brand of single cups for Keurig brewers, Rogers Family Company has filed a lawsuit hoping to ensure Keurig 2.0 brewers will be able to use non-licensed K-Cups and not only those with the Keurig brewed license.
In the suit which will seek damages as determined by the trial, The Rogers family alleges that Keurig has used its monopoly power in the single-serve coffee brewer and coffee pod markets to require its distribution partners to enter into exclusive anticompetitive agreements designed to maintain Keurig's monopoly power by excluding competition. In addition, Keurig has announced plans to launch a new line in 2014 of Single-Serve Brewers - Keurig 2.0 - that Keurig has stated will contain lockout technology to prevent Keurig 2.0 brewers from functioning with competitors' coffee pod products. According to Keurig, the Keurig 2.0 brewers would replace its existing lines of Keurig brewers that function with competing coffee pod products.
It seems another lawsuit is in order if Rogers and other companies are to be able to use the Keurig brewers to brew their K-Cups. We would imagine some non-Keurig K-Cup brewers are also on the horizon. Given the expiration of the patents for Keurig K-Cups, it’s interesting to see how Keurig Green Mountain will fair this year as they try and launch Keurig 2.0.
At Rogers Family Co. Files Lawsuit Against Keurig Green Mountain, Inc..
March 13, 2014
AB has found some the Keurig K45 line has expanded to offer more color options.
From AB: While at Wal-Mart in Brewer Maine I came across a White Elite brewer. This is the first time I have seen a color variation for K45. Keurig currently offers different colors for the Mini and Platinum. Doing some research on Keurig.com I discovered that they now offer 4 colors: Black, Patriot Blue, Coconut White, and Rhubarb (red).
On the Keurig website they run $119.99 with free shipping. I find it odd that with the impending rollout of the Keurig 2.0 they would produce this model in different colors. Why expand on a model that in theory will be obsolete when the new line is launched. My thought is that they will keep both lines active for sometime and phase out the VUE.
We concur on the expansion of this line with the eventual phase out of these brewers. We’re also starting to wonder how Keurig will keep the brewers available but then cut over to the Keurig 2.0 later this year. We also recommend if you want to use a non DRM version of a Keurig brewer getting one of these brewers now makes more sense. The Keurig 2.0 will have built in DRM and only work with Keurig licensed K-Cups.
You can also find the Keurig K45 in various colors on Amazon.com.
March 12, 2014
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. has announced a company name change to Keurig Green Mountain, Inc. The new name is in effect immediately, and the company will retain its ticker symbol of 'GMCR' on the NASDAQ stock exchange. The name better reflects how much of the company has Keurig products in the future of what started as a collaboration and is now a full blown effort. GMCR Canada Holding, Inc., also becomes Keurig Canada Inc. effective immediately.
Given the future of Keurig 2.0, Keurig Single Serve Soda (with Coca Cola on board), the company name change makes sense.
'Our new name better reflects who we are as a Company today and captures our aspirations for the future,' said Brian Kelley, Keurig Green Mountain's President and CEO. 'The name Keurig Green Mountain brings together our two strongest brands, Keurig and Green Mountain Coffee, into one single and powerful corporate identity that symbolizes the strength of our business and the unity of our team, while also recognizing our strong heritage.'
The new visual identity, like the new name, draws from elements of the Company's former corporate visual identity and its Keurig brand identity.
If you want to learn about the new logo (which is basically a K on it’s side) see the video on the Company's newly branded website at www.KeurigGreenMountain.com.
March 11, 2014
Twisted Pine Coffee is now in the single cup business bringing their entire line of coffees to the single serve brewer in your life. Using only the finest sourced beans and artistically roasting each batch to meet their standards, each batch of Twisted Pine Coffee beans is artisan roasted in small batches and delivered fresh. All of the Twisted Pine single cups will in all Keurig K-Cup Brewers. All Twisted Pine Coffee single cups run $8.99 for a box of 12.
- Autumn Sunrise Single Serve - Autumn Sunrise is a sumptuous trio of from Central America(Guatemalan, Costa Rican, Honduran) coffees . Creating a Full-bodied and complex, it offers hints of orange & caramel to round out an extremely bright coffee blend, producing a clean, exceptionally satisfying finish. Autumn Sunrise captures the crisp autumn north woods sunrise in every cup.
- Cafe Allonge French Roast - While crafting our French Roast, we decided that flavor and consistency rather than intensity of roast would be the most important elements in our French Roast coffee. Our French Roast is truly a coffee with a backbone. We begin with the highest-grade Colombian coffee beans and then dark roast them to bring out the sweet creamy Colombian flavors with a rich yet sweet aroma.
- Carmeled Sea Salt - The perfect marriage of Sweet and Savory! This tantalizing flavored coffee combines the sweetness of caramel with the savory goodness of sea salt! Painstakingly roasted with to a perfect medium roast to bring out the cocoa hints in our South American coffee to make the perfect combination of sweet and savory. Roasted to order and will ship fresh to you the same day!
- Donut Shop Blend - Donut Shop Blend is an everyday reliable coffee that you can enjoy each and every day. It has a familiar, bold flavor that will bring back memories of your local donut shop.
- French Vanilla Cappuccino - Start your day or any time with a steamy and creamy French Vanilla Cappuccino treat. Our blend of creamy French Vanilla Cappuccino offers a sweet smooth taste capturing the essence of perfection, like having a personal barista right in your kitchen.
- Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa - You will be hooked after one sip of our rich milk chocolate hot cocoa Our gourmet hot cocoa will satisfy that chocolate craving with each creamy sip. Made with the finest cocoa beans to provide a perfect velvety texture. Relax and enjoy this chocolate treat!
- Titletown Brew - In Titletown USA, excellence is never a sometimes thing - it is an all the time thing! This everyday all around brew will stand the test of time and flavor. Blending Organic Ethiopian carries the hint of blueberry and brandy dark chocolate flavors brought from the Organic Sumatran mixed perfectly to bring a unique experience. Meticulously hand roasted in Titletown USA, this coffee truly lives up to the excellence in its name.