March 8, 2011
There's a product out in France called Ne-Cap that make the impossible possible - you can make your own Nespresso capsules and use any coffee you want.
The capsule is used in 4 easy steps...
- Fill capsule with your preferred espresso coffee or tea leaves
- Remove the protective label on the adhesive seal
- Stick on the foil label
- Pop in any Nespresso machine and enjoy.
According to the site, the cost per capsule is 0.10 Euros (Approx. 0.14 cents USD) and each capsule can hold about 5 grams of coffee. No word on how many capsules are in a box but the site says they're available at "fine coffee retailers across France" and online at various French coffee product sites.
There are even accessories for the Ne-cap as well...
March 4, 2011
Right now Williams-Sonoma has the exclusive sale in the US of the Nespresso Pixie. Starting yesterday on 3/3 you can purchase the Pixie in a variety of eye catching colors (we like the green), and enjoy a super-compact silhouette with superb espresso-making abilities from Nespresso. This is the smallest Nespresso machine ever, and we think the compact design is a winner.
- Stylish, ultracompact espresso machine brews one perfect cup at a time.
- Brewing is fully automatic – simply pop in a coffee capsule and select your cup size.
- Works exclusively with Nespresso’s premium coffee capsules (16 are included) for locked-in freshness and convenience with no mess.
- Heats up in 25 to 30 seconds – faster than most single-cup models on the market.
- Two top buttons allow you to select a shot size, a 1-oz pour or a 2- to 3-oz pour.
- Machine can be programmed to brew a specific duration based on your preference.
- A 19-bar pressure pump ensures maximum extraction of flavor.
- Innovative Thermoblock technology guarantees precise temperature control.
- Spent capsules are neatly ejected into an internal receptacle that holds up to 10 used capsules.
- Removable water tank is easy to fill.
- Drip tray flips up to accommodate larger cup sizes – handy when you’re making a latte or cappuccino.
- Easy-to-read backlit buttons.
- Auto shut-off after 9 minutes.
The Nespresso Pixie comes in 6 colors: Electric Steel Blue; Electric Lime; Electric Aluminum; Electric Indigo; Electric Red; Electric Titan. Pricing for the Nespresso Pixie is $249 for any color machine.
February 2, 2011
SingleServeEspresso.com has details that Nespresso is launching the new Nespresso Pixie Brewer "This Spring". The surprisingly small Pixie will take up a minimal amount of room on your countertop brewing up a classic Nespresso shot without taking up much real estate.
- The sides of the Pixie are colored aluminum, with an ABS case, stainless drip tray and an alloy handle to make for a pretty stout, and attractive piece.
- The sleek and compact new design of the machine features side panels in anodized aluminum inspired by industrial, minimalist design.
- Pixie will be available in six bold and vibrant colors including: Electric Indigo, Electric Red, Electric Titan, Electric Lime, Electric Aluminum and Electric Steelblue.
- Espresso and Lungo; Auto Shut Off, Low Water Alert
The machine will have Espresso and Lungo settings brewing up 1.35 ounces and 4.75 ounces of espresso respectively. Like other automatic Nespresso machines, the Pixie's settings can be customized by the user. The Pixie will also feature an automatic shut-off much like the Nespresso Citiz brewer, so that it saves energy. The Pixie will automatically shut off after 9 minutes of non-use, which can be changed by the user up to a maximum of 30 minutes.
December 17, 2010
The L'OR Brand of Nespresso compatible capsules sold under the Douwe Egberts brand name.
Single Serve Espresso and Bloomberg have reported that Sara Lee, one of the major coffee makers in Europe may start selling their Nespresso compatible capsules in the US through a mail order system as they look for ways to expand their distribution of this coffee format.
What are the savings? About 4 cents a capsule from Sarah Lee making their capsules .29 a pop and Nespresso's .33. Doesn't sound like a lot but it adds up. While Nespresso/Nestle feels that their capsule and machines are well protected through a layered patent process, Sara Lee believes that they have successfully circumvented the patent protection and have been offering their L'Or capsules in France online and at retailers since April, and in the Netherlands just this month.
They have reportedly sold 90 million capsules to date.
Full read at Single Serve Espresso
November 11, 2010
The 2010 Limited Editions of Variations by Nespresso have been announced. These variations will launch on December 6th with a preview sale event from December 1st -5th for high-value Nespresso Club members.
- Vanilla Variation – a balanced harmony between the rich and velvety aromas of vanilla and the mellow flavour of the Livanto Grand Cru creates a blend distinguished by its full, enveloping taste, infinitely smooth and silky on the palate.
- Caramel Variation– the sweet vanilla flavour of caramel softens the roasted notes of the Livanto Grand Cru results is a delicate gourmet union which evokes the creaminess of soft toffee.
- Almond Variation – the sweet and lightly toasted almond notes accentuate the roundness of the Livanto Grand Cru and this melt-in-the-mouth blend evokes the mellow taste of Amaretti biscuits.
Single Serve Espresso has an extensive recap and thoughts on this year's Nespresso Variations we think you should check it out.
At Nespresso and Single Serve Espresso
October 20, 2010
Somewhere in Vienna over 700 used Nespresso capsules were combined with copper and salt water to make battery-powered clocks. The capsule battery packed were linked together to keep a radio playing away happily as well. Nespresso does have a recycle program for it's capsules, but we think this reuse is pretty interesting.
Where does the 700 capsules come from? Supposedly, the average coffee-drinker can go through 700 Nespresso capsules a year. Given that number we'd only need to drink 1.91 shots of espresso a day. Sign us up!
September 9, 2010
We're big fans of the Nespresso CitiZ line of single serve coffee makers (read our full review here), and we think pairing the machine with the Swissmar Capstore Vista Storage Rack for 40 Nespresso Coffee Capsules is a winning combination. The Nespresso C110 CitiZ Automatic Single-Serve Espresso Maker is for use with coffee-filled capsules from Nespresso, and features both espresso and lungo buttons with automatic and programmable volume control. The C110 also features a 19-bar pump, energy-saving mode, and 1-liter removable water tank.
If you pair the Nespresso C110 CitiZ Automatic Single-Serve Espresso Maker with this Turntable-style storage unit you'll be able to store up to 40 Nespresso single-serve capsules. The storage unit spins and makes picking the perfect lungo or espresso in the morning much easier, and with less mess.
At Nespresso C110 CitiZ Automatic Single-Serve Espresso Maker and Swissmar Capstore Vista Storage Rack for 40 Nespresso Coffee Capsules
August 23, 2010
Turn it up to 12 (sorry 11 is so old school) with the upcoming fall Nespresso capsule called Kazaar. The Kazaar Limited Edition 2010 will be the strongest coffee in it's entire line of Grand Crus, because until recently, Ristretto with its 10th level of roast was the strongest coffee. To create the exclusive Kazaar Limited Edition, Nespresso experts roasted the beans at the maximum 12th level.
Exclusively for the Kazaar Limited Edition, Nespresso collaborated with famed French interior-designer Andree Putman to develop the white Ritual Collection, which included elegant ristretto cups and refined saucers.
Kazaar Limited Edition will come to the Nespresso club and boutiques in September 2010.
Via POPSOP.COM and Single Serve Coffee Forums
August 9, 2010
Following in the footsteps of Lamborghini's and Brunopasso's octane-infused machines comes this one from Nespresso, designed for Ferrari. Packaged inside a racing helmet, the visor lifts to expose the spout where all the Nespresso espresso goodness pours out. The chin pulls out like a drawer, and various panels expose the other compartments. We think a nice short shot or longer Lungo will benefit from this design in various race ridden ways.
Via Autoblog At Yanko Design
May 25, 2010
Nespresso has launched two themed Citiz single serve coffee espresso and coffee makers - one is themed for Paris and the other for New York. We think both machines look really groovy, and we've found the slim design of the Citiz line of single serve coffee makers to be a welcome addition to your already crowded kitchen counter. If you're not familiar with the Citiz line (read our full review here), it uses the same Nespresso capsules all other Nespresso machines use.
At Nespresso Citiz